Study Options

Are your courses recognised overseas?

All SAE degree and diploma courses are government accredited. This means that the qualifications you receive upon graduation are recognised all around New Zealand and internationally.

Do you have night-time/part-time courses?

The SAE Certificate in Electronic Music Production is a part-time, evening programme. All other programmes are run during the day, but may on occasion run an evening workshop or seminar.

Do you offer distance education?

SAE Auckland does not current offer online or distance education options, however a variety of short courses and post-graduate options are available via SAE Online.

How much practical time will I get?

All SAE courses have a focus on practical, hands-on delivery. The amount of practical time you experience during your studies does vary, depending on your course. You will also have opportunities to access campus resources and facilities outside of class time, during campus opening hours. 

I have no background in this subject, will I cope?

We carefully design and deliver all our units to help you develop the knowledge you need to be successful in your chosen field of study. Courses and course units at SAE follow best practice teaching and learning.

What is the relationship between the theoretical and practical aspects of my course?

Successful creative media graduates need both practical skills and theoretical knowledge. It is important to know the "how" and the "why" of your industry. SAE courses are specifically designed to give you practical expertise and a solid theoretical foundation.

When is the next Open Day?

Upcoming Open Day details can be found on our Events page.

My Application

What are the entry requirements for me to study at SAE?

Entry requirments for SAE courses can be found in the Key Facts section of your relevant course page.

Where can I get an application form and how do I apply?

You can enquire about SAE courses online, and we'll send you a prospectus and enrolment form. Visit How to Apply to see the application process, or Enquire Now.

Why do you need certified hardcopies of my documents?

Certified copies of your supporting documents are required for accreditation and auditing requirements. 

How do I get documents certified?

For SAE documents, see the campus from which the documents were originally issued. For all other documents, these can be certified by people employed in particular professions including: Justices of the Peace (JP), Legal Practitioners, Magistrates, Notary Public, Police Officers, Dentists, Veterinarians, Pharmacists, Certified Practicing Accountants (CPA), Members of Parliament (MP), Ministers of Religion, and Medical Practitioners.

The person verifying the documents must state “I certify that I have sighted the original document and this is a true copy of it” and should sign and print the following details:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Daytime phone number
  • Profession or occupation
  • Organisation and registration number (where applicable)
  • Stamp (where applicable)
  • Date verified

When do applications close for each intake?

Generally, applications will be accepted until all available places in the course are filled according to date-received priority. The earlier your application is made, the more likely you are to receive a placement. Since degree intakes also require an entry interview, new applications for degree courses need to be received no later than 3 months before the course is due to start.

Where can I get help with my visa application?

Applying for a student visa can be a complicated process. While you are able to do this yourself, an approved SAE Agent can help you with the process. Agents are trained to assist applicants with their university and visa applications.

How much does my student visa cost?

There is a non-refundable visa charge when you apply for your visa. For more information on visa fees and charges please visit the Immigration New Zealand website.

Can I work in New Zealand with a study visa?

The conditions of a New Zealand Study Visa do not allow for paid work.

My Enrolment

What do I do if I want to defer or leave?

If you wish to defer, you will be required to contact Student Services in writing to request to defer or cancel your studies.

What happens if I withdraw or I don't complete my studies?

You must withdraw prior to census date in order to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. If you have not paid your fees and withdraw after the census date, you will incur a debt. Non-completion of studies does not normally entitle a student to any refund.

What is the Census Date?

The census date is the last day you can withdraw from a unit without incurring any financial or academic penalty for that course. The census date is set at eight calendar days from the commencement date (domestic students), or ten working days from the commencement date (international students).

What is the maximum time I can defer?

The maximum time you are able to defer study is 12 months.

What if I change my mind? Can I pull out of my course once I start?

Financial penalties will apply to students who leave their courses after the allocated census date.

Fees and Payments

Can I obtain a Student Loan for a certificate programme?

No. The certificate programme is too short to qualify for NZQA Accreditation, making certificate students unable to obtain a Student Loan.

What happens if I withdraw or I don't complete my studies?

You must withdraw prior to census date in order to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. If you have not paid your fees and withdraw after the census date, you will incur a debt. Non-completion of studies does not normally entitle a student to any refund.

When do I need to pay my tuition fees?

Your tuition fees are due prior to the course commencement date, unless paying via installments (certificate programmes only). If you are applying for a Student Loan, you must submit the required application form and supporting documents prior to the course start date.

How much does a course at SAE cost?

Tuition fee information is displayed under the Key Facts section of the relevant courses.

Student Services

What support networks do you have in place for people with a disability or special learning needs?

SAE is committed to providing equal opportunities for students with disabilities or special learning needs. For more information visit Student Services

Student Life

Approximately how many students are in a class?

This can vary depending on the programme. The Bachelor of Recording Arts, Certificate in Electronic Music Production, and Diploma in Film Making courses are limited to the number of available computers in the Film Lab, so typically range between 12 and 20 students. The Diploma in Audio Engineering generally has a class size of 25 to 35 students, although tutorial groups are much smaller.

Can I work whilst studying?

Full time students who are well organised may be able to accomodate casual or part-time work, however often find that this becomes difficult. Part time students often remain employed whilst studying.

How often will I need to be on campus?

This is dependent on how many units you study per trimester. You should expect to be on campus one day a week per unit of study. If, for example, you are completing your studies via the full time fast track mode, you should expect to be on campus four days a week.

My Studies

Can I come in and work on assessments on the weekend?

Students can access campus facilities during opening hours. Please contact your campus for timings.

What is Alumni?

SAE Alumni is a network of SAE graduates. When you graduate, you will have the opportunity to join the global Alumni Association as well as the Australia & New Zealand Alumni Association. 

Who do I give medical certificates to?

If you need to provide a medical certificate for any reason, please ensure that you provide this to your Course Coordinator.

How much study is required outside lecture times?

A full time study load is defined as 40 hours per week. Of this 40 hours you can expect 12-15 hours of face-to-face teaching time. The additional hours of study include collaborative work (i.e. recording sessions) and individual study time.

Facilities and Equipment

Do I get access to all campus facilities if I complete a certificate course?

You will have access to the facilities and equipment relevant to your course and on which you have been trained.

Do I need a computer or laptop to study the Course?

No, this is not required. Students have access to our campus computer labs for assessment work.

Is your equipment industry standard?

Yes! We consult with industry on a regular basis and update our resources as required.

What are the campus opening hours?

Opening hours are generally 9.00am–5.00pm. However, each campus may vary their hours of operation.  Students do have out-of-hours access to the studios and computer labs. For more information contact your campus.

What is the situation with parking on campus?

For information regarding parking at your campus, click the Transport tab on your campus page

What software will I be using?

You will use a variety of industry standard and specialised software applications relevant to your study. 

When do the studios open?

The studios are open from 9am Monday to Friday, and 10am on Saturday; and normally close at 10pm. The studios are closed for public holidays, three weeks over Christmas and New Year, and on Sundays.